Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Jack Sholl 10/30/25 to 5/18/14
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Jack Sholl 10/30/25 to 5/18/14

 Jack Sholl    In Memory 10-30- 1925 to 5-18-14
Jack Sholl 1925-2014
I recently received a phone call from Joan Sholl about Jack’s passing. I was shocked when I heard the news. She told me how how pleased Jack was in meeting me. The reverse is true for me as well.
I first met Jack about five years ago, in 2009 while researching for my book It Has Nothing To Do With Age. I found Jack to be intelligent, warm, caring and a very interesting man. He was certainly passionate and knowledgeable about his sport rowing and about being a descendant of the American Revolution. We had many conversations and meetings over the past five years. I got to know him and his wife Joan very well.
Jack’s life, was extremely interesting. In fact his death has a peculiar twist. Being patriotic, Jack wanted to enlist in the service during World War II at the age of 17. His parents, would not give permission. So Jack did the following. He dropped out of high school and went to work in the shipyards for a year and then enlisted. It is believed that his cancer was caused by that asbestos poisoning. The Second World War did not kill, but being around asbestos did.
I remember visiting Jack and seeing paraphernalia dating back to the Civil War. I attended a Sons of the American Revolution with Jack and learned more about our military history. In fact, Jack and I talked at length about American history and how the schools were omitting significant information about our past. As a volunteer, Jack spent his summers in Philadelphia, giving tours and speaking about our country’s founding, with the National Park Service. It wasn’t uncommon for someone in the audience to ask Jack if he taught history in college. Jack’s reply was no, I worked for IBM for 29 years.
Jack has traveled all over the world and has been a great spokesman and representative for our country. He knows royalty, and yet in many ways he was just a good, warmhearted individual. I miss his stories, our conversations and his friendship. Although not a physically tall man, Jack was mentally tough. I feel sad to have lost another friend.
It is hard to believe that I just can’t pick up the phone or email Jack again. Death has a finality that’s unlike anything else .It’s so different. Thank goodness, fond memories remain.

I miss you Jack.

0 comments:

Post a Comment