Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Mental Toughness -. Part 10
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Monday, April 6, 2015

Mental Toughness -. Part 10



 A third  component of Mental Toughness [3] pertain to Success Experiences as they relate to Achievement Goals. Success experiences assist in defining our achievement goals in that they affect our level of aspiration. This means that it is extremely  important for the individual to have realistic achievement goals. So, I did not start out having an achievement goal of running 100 trail miles in one day. In fact, I hadn’t thought of that particular goal until after four years or so of running in ride and tie events.

A ride and tie event was a combination of a trail and equestrian competition and comprised of two runners and a horse or the team. This particular competition took place on trails in the mountains, generally around 25 or so miles in length. The race would start with one rider, obviously on the horse along with a runner. The horse and rider, at the start of the race, would easily get out in front of his partner; and at a predetermined distance, dismount and tie the reins or lead rope to a tree limb. Then that rider immediately became the runner and headed down the trail. The initial runner would eventually reach the tied animal and untie it, mount it, and be off going in the direction of that runner ahead. Upon catching up to the runner, the rider might switch with his partner, or ride on ahead and then tie the horse. This hopscotch process, so to speak, would continue until all three [horse, rider and human partner] cross the finish line at the same time [there could be only one rider at a time on the horse].

My serious running took place in those events so I got an idea about the toughness of serious trail running. In order to compete in ride and tie, I began trail conditioning runs. I even entered an official half marathon [13.1 miles] race and worked my way up to running a full practice marathon distance [26.2 miles]. Then, I entered an official 50 K [31 miles] before running an official marathon.

So I had 4 years of running on the trail that included running a distance of 31 miles, which was my longest run in distance and time. Then, I heard about an opportunity to run a one day 100 mile event called the Western States 100. In order to compete in that event, I had to run a 50 mile trail qualifying event in 10 hours [I was in the 60 year age group]. Prior to running that particular qualifier, I was successful at running in ride and tie and trail running events. In my mind at the time, I rationalized that I had already run 31 miles, and only had to run 19 miles more to attain 50 miles. As it turned out, I was successful and qualified for the Western States 100 mile endurance.

Having all those success experiences in dealing with miles, trail conditions, eating and hydrating properly, with the right gear allowed me to enter the race [a draw of the lottery picked my number]. Statistically, about 50% of the runners complete that particular run. So my success rate of completion was about 50%. The stars were aligned and I was one of the fortunate 50% completers. Success, for me, led to more success with realistic trail running achievement goals. It’s clear that I didn’t start out thinking I was able to run 100 miles before my first ride and tie competition.


More to follow

0 comments:

Post a Comment